Strength and Conditioning in Football:
Football Strength and Conditioning is committed to establishing a culture of empowerment that includes a competitive/challenging environment, holistic development, and science-based safe training protocols. These ideals adhere to the Golden Standard established by our Head Football Coach and are embedded in our culture to help student-athletes maximize their full potential, both on and off the field. Our program encompasses the necessary mental toughness that will elevate our student-athletes’ ability to adapt and overcome difficult situations, ultimately preparing them for life outside of sport.
Through periodized progressive overload, implemented in our sport-specific training protocol, our strength staff provide the nation’s best motivational and “hands-on” strength and conditioning program. We monitor the mental and physical well-being of our athletes to ensure that appropriate training and recovery protocols are administered, to promote the positive improvement in performance of each student-athlete. Our goal is to mitigate injuries and keep our athletes on the field healthy and in top physical and mental condition, to give them the edge they need to succeed.
“The Sports Psychology Program provides comprehensive psychological services to the sports community at Notre Dame. Through the provision of clinical and performance enhancement services, we strive to foster a culture of inclusion, wellness and excellence both in and out of sport. The integrated nature of our positions allows us to meet the ever-changing needs of student-athletes, coaches, teams, and the athletic department itself. We are committed to providing targeted and dynamic interventions at all levels of the department to pursue its mission of holistic development and athletic success.
Notre Dame’s Sports Nutrition Department is dedicated to providing individualized, quality, evidence-based care to all student-athletes to support optimal health and performance not only during their time at Notre Dame, but throughout. throughout their life. As sports dietitians, we aim to optimize performance through nutrition in a multifaceted approach with coaches, sports medicine, strength and conditioning, and sports psychology. Housed in our core value “Food First”, we follow a sport-specific approach, committed to:
- increase overall nutrient intake
- reduce the risk of injury and re-injury
- improve recovery
- promote mindfulness and body acceptance
- education through team discussions, cooking demonstrations, grocery store tours, and more.
Olympic Strength and Conditioning:
The overarching goal of the Strength and Conditioning department is to empower young women and men to compete like champions. This is achieved by developing, organizing and administering training interventions that are underpinned by scientific knowledge, empirical observations and sport-specific needs analysis while being tailored to the individual needs of each athlete. This student-athlete centered, coach driven model encourages a holistic approach to training through collaboration with sports medicine, nutrition and psychology. Our training foundation begins with establishing key performance indicators (KPIs) and addressing risk factors to create resilient athletes. Through the longitudinal assessment of KPIs, we are able to track each student-athlete’s progress against established standards and set goals to achieve peak performance.
The ultimate goal of the sports medicine staff is to provide the best healthcare to the over 800 student-athletes representing the Fighting Irish. Our staff of 18 full-time athletic trainers and physiotherapists provide initial assessment and triage of injuries and illnesses while directing rehabilitation, reconditioning and recovery from all health conditions. Under the direction of team physicians, our trained professionals provide holistic care by communicating concerns and planning on an ongoing basis with primary care physicians, orthopedic surgeons/consultants, strength and conditioning, dietitians, counseling sports psychologists and a close network of other health/health professionals . Our comprehensive healthcare focuses on promoting an inclusive and diverse environment by caring for the individual as well as the injury/illness.
The sports medicine team…
- is committed to providing the highest quality care to student-athletes both physically and mentally at the University of Notre Dame.
- provides quality prevention, recognition, treatment and rehabilitation of sports injuries each student-athlete to meet their individual needs.
- is committed to optimizing the performance of student-athletes by
- Improve the nutrition education program and help student-athletes meet all of their nutritional needs.
- Promote the importance of “food as fuel”.
- Helping athletes compete at the highest levels of performance.
- is committed to fostering the mental health, general well-being, and personal development of all Notre Dame student-athletes.
- helps student-athletes deal with the challenges they face, enabling them to make the most of the opportunities available to them at Notre Dame.
- is committed to establishing a culture, rooted in our core values, that supports the holistic development of our student-athletes. To ensure this development, we strive to collaborate with all departments and key industry professionals to provide our student-athletes with the most innovative and up-to-date training methods. Our goal is for all coaches and athletes to develop an insatiable desire to pursue mastery.