The Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program, which is administered by the South Carolina Department of Social Services, is a United States Department of Agriculture seasonal grant program intended to supplement the diets of elderly low income with unprocessed fruits and vegetables from authorized sources. farmers markets, roadside stands and community-supported agricultural programs.
Seniors must apply for the benefits on an annual basis.
Eligible participants will receive $25 in the form of five checks ($5 each) to be spent at participating authorized branches. Qualified seniors must go to a designated location in their county of residence, complete an application and show photo ID to participate. If approved, the qualified senior will receive their checks the same day. Applications will be accepted and checks will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis in the senior’s county of residence.
To be eligible, South Carolina residents must be 60 years of age or older with an annual income of $23,828 or less ($32,227 for 2 people), declare their household size (jointly or separately), and have a legal ID.
Applicants can appoint an authorized representative to apply on their behalf if the senior is unable to apply in person. An authorized representative can request and collect SFMNP checks on behalf of up to two people in addition to themselves. The authorized representative must present their own photo ID, a copy of the applicant’s ID (physical copy or image) and written/signed authorization.
Potential beneficiaries must submit an application and meet residency and income requirements to qualify. Please do not come to the SFMNP site on the distribution date without proper identification.
The 2022 SFMNP distribution locations and times in Lee County are:
– Lee County Council On Aging, 51 Wilkinson Road, Bishopville, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 8-10; and
– Spring Hill Centre, 137 Shiver Pond Road, Rembert, 9 a.m. to noon, June 8-10
The distribution site in Sumter County is:
– South HOPE Center, 1125 S. Lafayette Drive, June 24, 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. (Please wear a face mask in the building)
The authorized 2022 South Carolina Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program locations in Lee County where checks and/or vouchers can be redeemed are:
– D&L Berry, 299 Johnson Pond Road, Bishopville – Monday through Wednesday, 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.;
– Lee County Farmer and Garden, 220 E. Church St., Bishopville – Thursdays, 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. and Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Authorized sites in Sumter County where checks and/or vouchers can be used are:
– American Legion Farmers Market, 2 S. Artillery Drive, Sumter – Fridays, 12-6 p.m.
– Garden Fresh, 6685 Camden Highway, Rembert – Fridays, 8 a.m. to noon
– South Sumter Farmer’s Market, 312 Manning Ave., Sumter; Friday, 2 p.m.-6 p.m.
– Sumter Farmers Market at USC Sumter, 200 Miller Road, Sumter – Fridays, 12-6 p.m.
– Sumter Farmers Market Downtown, corner of Main and Liberty Streets – Saturdays, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
– Tandem Health Farmers Market, 1278 N. Lafayette Drive, Sumter – Thursdays, 11am-3pm
– The Farm Store, 584 Bultman Drive, Unit 2, Sumter – Monday-Friday 11am-6pm and Saturday 10am-5pm